cost action ca15111
Call No 2 for Short Term Scientific Missions (STSM) ApplicationsMissions occurring before the end of March 2018: first come, first served approach
STSM facilitates Researchers from COST Countries participating in COST Action No 15111 to go to an institution, organisation or research centre in another participating COST Country to foster collaboration and to perform empirical research. Participation of “Early Career Investigators” (ECI) in STSM is particularly encouraged. An applicant can be considered as being an ECI when the time that has elapsed between the award date of the applicants PhD and the date of the applicants first involvement in the COST Action No 15111 does not exceed 8 years. PhD students are also eligible to partake in STSMs
Specific information concerning STSM
STSMs can have a duration of between 5 days and 90 days (and up to 180 days if the applicant is an ECI – see definition of ECI above).
The following funding conditions apply and must be respected:
- up to a maximum of EUR 2 500 in total can be afforded to each successful STSM applicant;
- up to a maximum of EUR 160 per day can be afforded for accommodation and meal expenses;
- for ECIs, a maximum amount of EUR 3500 can be afforded to the Grantee for STSMs with a duration of between 91 and 180 days – For ECIs partaking STSMs with a duration of between 5 and 90 days, the limit of EUR 2 500 must be respected;
- STSM activities must occur in their entirety within the dates specified in this call. Financial support is limited to cover travel, accommodation and meal expenses and is paid in the form of a Grant.
Financial support is limited to cover travel, accommodation and meal expenses and is paid in the form of a Grant.
For Grant period 01.05.2017 – 30.04.2018, the Management Committee of COST Action No 15111 “European Network on Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome” has allocated a total budget of EUR 15 000 for up to 6 STSMs. The amounts granted for each individual STSM will be determined during the evaluation process by the formally appointed person(s). The selection of applicants is based on the scientific scope of the STSM application which must clearly compliment the overall objectives of the Action.
Assessment criteria for awarding STSM grants:
- The research subject must be relevant for and within the scope of the European Network on Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- The applicant and the host must be from two different member countries → http://www.cost.eu/COST_Actions/ca/CA15111?parties
- STSM applicants must be engaged in an official research programme as a PhD Student or postdoctoral fellow or can be employed by, or affiliated to, an institution, organisation or legal entity which has within its remit a clear association with performing research. In assessing applications, priority will be given to PhD students and early carrier researchers.
How to apply for an STSM:
Interested researchers can apply by following the directions provided below and submitting their application and supporting documents to Dr. Els Tobback, STSM Coordinator. Missions should be finished before the end of March 2018 and applications will be considered according to the first come, first served approach.
THE APPLICATION PROCESS IS AS FOLLOWS:
- All applicants must carefully read the funding rules detailed in Section 7 of the COST Vademecum. This document is available at: http://www.cost.eu/participate/guidelines.
- All applicants must register for an e-COST profile at https://e-services.cost.eu - adding their bank account details to their profile.
- All applicants must obtain a letter of invitation from the Host institution confirming that they can undertake the STSM on the given dates prior to submitting an application.
- All applicants must complete, submit and download their STSM applications online at: www.cost.eu/STSM.
- All applicants must send their submitted STSM application form and the relevant supporting documents to Dr. Els Tobback, STSM Coordinator on email: Els.Tobback@uzgent.be for evaluation before the application submission deadline expires. The list of supporting documents to be submitted for the evaluation are:
- Letter of invitation to the applicant from a senior researcher affiliated to the Host institution
- The submitted STSM application form (downloadable when the online application is submitted – see point 4 above)
- A motivation letter including an overview of the proposed activities that will be performed which must contain a plan of work for the visit highlighting the proposed contribution to the scientific objectives of the respective COST Action;
- A letter of support from the Home Institution;
- A Full CV (including a list of academic publications );
- Approximate calculation of lodgging and meals per day calculated with a consideration for the cost of living in the city/country where the STSM will be held and expected travel expenses (economy class only).
(Please note that the COST Association can request additional information to substantiate the information contained within the documents submitted by STSM applicants).